In 1908 the Marcus Woman's Club founded the first home circulating library in Marcus. It was headquartered in Mr. A. H. Dwight's Confectionary and had an inventory of 65 books. Mrs. L. H. Talcott was the first librarian.
In 1915, Mrs. W. E. Willey was elected librarian and the library was moved to larger quarters over the Exchange Bank at 400 N. Main. Miss Myrtle Willey was the next librarian, replacing her aunt.
In 1932 the library moved into the City Hall and officially became the Marcus Public Library. In 1962, the library received a bequest from the W. L. Gund family for a new library building at 106 N. Locust Street-- the current location. Dedication of the building was held on August 9, 1964.